prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:37 am 

Bob:

I got an email invite to complete a Survey Monkey survey yesterday.

Rick

#27 FP MGB
#27 FP Miata

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:31 am 

Protech Racing wrote:
I was totally against any of this until I tried to order pads for my Corona/Datsun 240Z calipers and was told 2-3 weeks .

I wonder how a caliper substitution could be done without adding lightness to the nose ..
Maybe add weight to sub any brake bits . Straight 35#s . 10 for adding lightness and 25 just cuz.

Changing rotor size totally screws up the class. IMHO

Just a thought, but Wilwood offers a "GM Style" race caliper that uses GM pad shapes. my assumption is that it's for the circle track guys..
there are also a large number of conversions out there that use 240SX or 300ZX calipers to fit the Z spindle. 240SX is still a single sliding piston, but the people I know that raced them in EP said they had no brake issues once they got good pads on them.
the 300ZX calipers are 4 piston fixed jobs and come in aluminum and iron variety, and have a good pad selection due to the performance nature of the car.
lots of options digging in the Nissan parts bin if you choose to go that way.

STU Scion FR-S

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:35 am 

tschreyer wrote:
GT6 wrote:
This is soo biased, that it's embarrassing.

Did Wilwood write this???

Glad Im not the only one.

Just wondering why? I've never bought racing calipers.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:58 am 

I used the GM big piston caliper on the race truck. They work great , In fact you can use the large piston in thr front and smaller piston in the rear and brake balance with pads MOL .
The team that bought it from me swapped the GM mount Wilwoods onto it looking for less pedal travel . Even tho I explained to them the pump to set the pads is a semi normal thing and due to the axle knocking the pads clear.

These stopped as well as and pads are much cheaper than the 4 pot Z32 brakes I removed .

I would be fine with " any single piston or 2 piston sliding pin style caliper can be used at no weight penalty"

https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5ED89C64
replaced these; https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5ED69555

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:06 am 

Ya, the Z32 rear calipers leave a lot to be desired. I ran them on the rear of the STU car simply because they were bolt on. pads were just as expensive as the Superlite fronts, but less than 1/2 the size. I also adjusted bias with pad compound changes. I had the largest wilwoods up front (17.5"x4) running Hawk DTC-60 / 70, and the Z32 in rear running HPS, HP+, or HT-10 depending on track. When I went to Hallett, I still had too much rear bias using HPS, so I went to Vatozone and bought some "lifetime warranty" brand pads for the rear. pedal effort went through the roof, but it reduced rear bias enough I wasn't going into T2 backwards. 88-o

STU Scion FR-S

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:08 am 

I didn't get the survey invite.

Charlie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:09 am 

Questions - sorry I don't have all the answers that were offered:

Quote:
Page 1: Alternate Brake Rules for Production Classes
Q1
Should aftermarket brake calipers be considered in the Production category at all?

Q2
If aftermarket brake calipers were allowed, should they automatically come with a weight penalty if used?

Q3
If aftermarket brake calipers were allowed, how should their construction and design be limited?

Q4
If aftermarket brake calipers were allowed, should the brake rotor diameter remain stock?

Q5
If non-stock brake rotor diameters were allowed, how should they be limited/standardized? (Note that with any option, every car would still be limited by what it can physically fit within its specified max wheel size.)

Q6
Permitting drilled and/or slotted brake rotors would increase parts availability and options to competitors, while adding an additional margin of consistency, safety, and braking performance. Should drilled and/or slotted brake rotors be allowed?

Q7
OEM ABS systems are becoming more frequent on cars that are classified in the Production category, and these systems are becoming more sophisticated and difficult to properly disable. Should an allowance be made to allow OEM ABS systems into the Production category?

I personally found the ABS question leading and confusing. If we're going to address ABS, which I'd consider, there needs to be lots more questions asked (OEm/non-oem allowed, only ABS offered on the base model, etc).

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:11 am 

ABS is obviously related, but should be addressed as a separate issue. some cars are "perfectly fine" when you disable the ABS. other cars (like RX8) become evil witches that try to kill you. given the number of modern cars with ABS, traction/"stability" control, and throttle by wire all integrated into the ECU and body control computers, it's getting harder and harder to remove that stuff from the system without other adverse effects. If Prod wants to include cars newer than about 2004, they're going to have to find a way to address issues like that.

STU Scion FR-S

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:31 am 

Matt -understood.

Also imagine trying to retrofit the Bosch 4-channel system on a spridget.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:36 am 

Agreed. ABS is a stand alone issue . We need to allow it somehow . Then we run into the ABS pros and cons. Ice mode. race ECU for the ABS ets. Many facets. A straight weight penalty is pretty much the only way forward.
But this I know , you can mash the brakes in T5 @ the Glen with a bosch BMW ABS car and not crash . In the rain.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next